Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reference books to use for baby quilt patterns

We talked recently about what actually makes a quilt a baby quilt. My case is that any pattern can be turned into a baby quilt because I don't want you to get caught up in the "baby quilt patterns" hype. (Ha! I might be designing my own patterns at some point, so that seems a bit contradictory, right?)

So I wanted to share three great pattern reference books today that would be good additions to your library and a great place to start when you're looking for a pattern. There's nothing labeled "baby quilt patterns" here; just great basic blocks and patterns to build any quilt.


Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns
This book is a classic for many reasons, although it's less about the specific blocks and more about entire patterns. However, see the blocks on the cover? Too many triangles for me!! But you'll find some good patterns and blocks here and it's a great reference for instructions on setting in seams and the like.


101 Fabulous Rotary-Cut Quilts
This is the one I have in my own library and again, it's more about the quilt patterns than blocks. However, most of these are presented as - here's the block, here's what we did with it. All the classics are represented, along with great directions on the basics of quilt-making. And lots of pretty pictures for inspiration. I've used it several times in my own quilt designs and it would be a great place to start with a sampler.


501 Quilt Blocks: A Treasury of Patterns for Patchwork & Appliqué
If you're a little farther along in your quilting career, a book of just blocks might not scare you. And this would be the one to get. Each block is presented with great illustrations and directions. Bring your own creativity as to how to use the block, although this book does cover a lot of good uses for blocks outside of quilts.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: