Monday, February 13, 2012

2011 Challenge: Butterfly Hoedown - Boy


This pattern turned into a boy version wasn't easy. And after I had already got going, I realized I should have made the flowers into dresden plates with smooth edges. Oh well. Still, the color scheme and fabrics lend themselves to this being a boy quilt. The corners and side squares were supposed to be hand appliqued, but I am about appliqued out at this point. Just went with the print there instead to fill those big spots. I'm not sure I'm liking the high contrast between those and the pieced border blocks, though, I have to say. Sigh.


The back on this one is just some brown dog print I found on the red tag rack at Joann during a 50% the red tag rack sale. So I think I got it for a buck a yard. Seamed up the middle and done. Yeah!


The quilting on this one I tended to copy a bit from the book. Freehanded the spirals in the centers out to the loops in the petals, then stippled in the background. Lots of in the ditch with the other borders and a back and forth out in the outer border. Nice thing about the back is that the quilting really blended into it well, although I was seeing improvement with my free motion so it didn't need to be hidden as much.

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, probably enough to get a stick of gum. I generally only recommend products or services on this blog that I would use personally and believe you will find cool as well. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, February 6, 2012

2011 Challenge: Diamonds Royale - Neutral


Neutral version of this pattern, which I have to say will never be my favorite. Just can't get that mitered corner to work right at the point where it meets the quilt center. Anyway, this was a great opportunity to use up most of that red teddy bear fabric that went into the borders, as well as some odd kinds of solids in the center. I'm kind of liking how it came out (from this far away!).


One of the problems I have with this pattern is that I just can't seem to come up with anything good to use for quilting the middle that would allow for continuous quilting the entire thing. And the extreme contrast between the diamonds and the sashing doesn't help. I ended up doing some stacking pebbles - alternating big and small - done just freehand and with a line down the middle to keep me from having to travel. So it's probably more a string of pearls than stacking pebbles. The borders I used a stencil I had, marked with my Frixxon pens. I used the iron to take out the marks, then later noticed some white residue around the markings. But it all washing out just fine, so I wasn't going to worry about it.


Pieced the back again in my effort to try to get rid of some of this fabric. And didn't even notice until I put the picture in that I didn't center the front top to bottom with the back. Oh well. I love using up this fabric, but pieced backs like this are pretty time-consuming. I'd rather be piecing a front, thank you.

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, probably enough to get a stick of gum. I generally only recommend products or services on this blog that I would use personally and believe you will find cool as well. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”