Monday, February 13, 2012

2011 Challenge: Butterfly Hoedown - Boy


This pattern turned into a boy version wasn't easy. And after I had already got going, I realized I should have made the flowers into dresden plates with smooth edges. Oh well. Still, the color scheme and fabrics lend themselves to this being a boy quilt. The corners and side squares were supposed to be hand appliqued, but I am about appliqued out at this point. Just went with the print there instead to fill those big spots. I'm not sure I'm liking the high contrast between those and the pieced border blocks, though, I have to say. Sigh.


The back on this one is just some brown dog print I found on the red tag rack at Joann during a 50% the red tag rack sale. So I think I got it for a buck a yard. Seamed up the middle and done. Yeah!


The quilting on this one I tended to copy a bit from the book. Freehanded the spirals in the centers out to the loops in the petals, then stippled in the background. Lots of in the ditch with the other borders and a back and forth out in the outer border. Nice thing about the back is that the quilting really blended into it well, although I was seeing improvement with my free motion so it didn't need to be hidden as much.

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, probably enough to get a stick of gum. I generally only recommend products or services on this blog that I would use personally and believe you will find cool as well. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments: